We are going with NHS funding as BUPA haven't backed down in their idea of having another PRF procedure first. To be honest, that's fine with me. At least with NHS I will be under their system, and if circumstances change at least I will be held under the NHS for any revision surgeries etc in the future. All that matters is that I get the operation done and by Mr Patel.
So it's count down time now!
Less than 2 weeks to go and it's about the only thing I can think about. I know I need this op, but it's taken me a while to get my head around it. Some people who totally get me, have mentioned things like how I will realise just how much effort getting up and getting into work used to take after I get this done. I guess that's true, and there is no other option for me.
I have soooo many questions though, partly because I'm a control freak and need to know everything. My consultant's PA has said I can email by it's if questions for Mr Patel to answer. This is what I've got so far;
* How long will I need off work?
* What is the full recovery time?
* What will recovery be like?
* Will I need to stay overnight in hospital?
* Do I have a choice where the battery is placed? (I'd prefer behind me in lower back area)
* Will my hair need to be shaved?
* What are the possible complications?
* Is it a lot like pacemaker surgery?
* How long is the actual operation?
* What will I need to be aware of in terms of airport security etc after the surgery?
* What will I expect in terms of follow up appointments?
* Will the stimulator stop all my pain, or just the sharp pain & dizziness?
I will update with the answers when I get them.
It's all a bit real now.
Not sure how I feel at the moment, but I think it's anxiety/panic/excitement!!
All I know is I'm getting a few nick names already!! My brothers have said that it will be cool for me to be a "Cyborg"!!
Makes me smile, at least!!!!