Sunday 16 June 2013

Pulsed Radio Frequency Rhizotomy and Local Anaesthetic Injection Into Muscle

It is only two days after my operation and I am actually feeling good. Obviously a bit stiff, achey and tired but overall my head pain seems to have gone!!!! That is something I barely get the chance to say anymore! 

The procedure was bearable. As always I walked down to theatre and a cannula was placed in the back of my hand. The anaesthetist gave me some diazepam to settle me (not that I seemed anxious) then I was wheeled into theatre and asked to lay face down on the bed. 
I then had a million hands putting the earthing pad on my leg, giving me oxygen, putting pads on my chest, all before my consultant spoke to me. I pointed out my most painful trigger point, which was marked with a pen. He then made a few measurements before inserting the needle, adding some local anaesthetic and then checking if the PRF was in the correct place by the nerve. This time, I'm not sure it was! I felt immense pressure on my neck, like someone was pushing me down with their thumb. The needle was obviously next to the muscle instead. A second needle was inserted and checked. This one was in the correct place. This one was turned on for 3 minutes, followed by the other, after changing its position, for 6 minutes. I now can't remember much more but was told that the same needle would inject longer lasting local anaesthetic into the muscle at the facet joint where the occipital nerve begins. Next thing I know, I am being wheeled out of theatre into recovery. I know some blood was wiped off my neck at this point, but I was awake despite feeling do tired.
I am only in recovery for a short whole, maybe 25 minutes! A paracetamol drip is set up, but I feel ok. I didn't say how my pain was, as I couldn't really feel anything. 
I'm back upstairs before I know it! And lunch arrives! :)

My head stayed totally numb for the whole day. Apart from my neck muscles feeling rather achey and a bit of dizziness and tiredness, I feel fine!
This continues for the best few days! No pain! Just aches. I can't actually believe how good I am feeling! Let's hope this lasts! 

So now I have my hope back for a decent near future! Summer should be good and I will enjoy it as much as possible!
For now I will forget that it will return at some point....and that I can't think too far ahead. I will try and enjoy the experiences that come along, particularly with the few people who have shown that they are true friends. Those are the ones that have always been there, through it all! Visiting, calling, texting, just to make sure I am ok. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment